Saturday 19 July 2008

Narnia

I went to the cinema the other day. Liz wanted to see the new Narnia film, I wanted to sleep on the beach but it was raining so I thought the cinema was the next best thing.
On the way there, I'm listening to yet another debate about knife crime and the inevitable phone-in with the nutter who's carried a sixteen foot sword around with him for twenty years and hasn't killed anyone yet.
I wake up, somewhere towards the end of this children's film, having missed the adverts, the cartoons, "Look at Life" and the B movie, and there's this eleven year old girl on screen.
She's stood on a bridge, holding a six inch stilletto blade.
So - my thinking is a bit slow here after my repose - but I'm thinking knife crime, glorification of knife culture and here is the eleven year old hero of a kid's film defending a bridge with a knife.
If I could have found my shoes, which were deeply encrusted in yesterday's popcorn, I would have walked out in protest.

No comments: